How to get into a Canadian University as an International Student

Being an International student in Canada can be an excited and rewarding long term option. You will receive a quality education from an accredited Canadian University and once you graduate you will be employable at any organization that operated in Canada and in many parts of the world. It is not a myth that Universities in Canada not only focus on the academic component of

the university experience but the social component as well. This is because one of the core mandates of Canadian Universities is to produce well rounded students that are not only technically inclined but also possess social intelligence. On your first day at a Canadian University you will find yourself surrounded by opportunities to be a part of any group that you find interesting. This can be the Math club or even the Finance club where you invest real money in the stock market.

Getting into a Canadian University as an International student is not a difficult process but it is a process. Therefore, it is imperative that you are well informed and knowledgable about the steps you have to take in order to get accepted.


If you want to get accepted at a Canadian University located in the Province of Ontario you must fill out the OUAC 105F (International Form) application here: The requirements are quite simple:

  1. Live outside of Canada AND
  1. Not a Canadian Citizen or a Permanent Resident AND
  1. Not currently attending an Ontario High School (in Canada or abroad)

It is imperative that you apply early, for example for a September 20XX enter you must apply by May 20XX. Applying early will allow sufficient time for processing and obtaining a study permit. More importantly, spaces are always limited – so applying early is always a good idea.

There are certain required documents that you must send to the Canadian University you wish to attend often times they include the following:

  1. Transcript: Official transcripts in English are required from all previous schools you have attended. This document should be mailed directly to the Canadian Universities admissions office. If you are in the process of completing a required course, send your transcript to show that you are enrolled in that respective course and once you have completed the course you must send an updated transcript to reflect your grade. More importantly all transcripts must be official, issued by the school and bear the schools seal or stamp to demonstrate its origin.
  1. Official Course Descriptions: If you have previously attended a University elsewhere (any post secondary school) and would like the courses you have taken to transfer over then you must provide official course descriptions of all the courses of you have taken. This can include a course calendar or a URL of the page that describes the course. Please check with the admissions office of the school you are applying to verify.
  1. Proof of English proficiency is required for those applicants whose first language is not English.
  1. (embassy or consulate) in your country for information about entry requirements. You can obtain information about student authorizations on Citizenship and Immigration Canada’s Web site, at

To ensure that you are providing the correct documents and meeting all the requirements, you should visit the international section of the admissions office of the Canadian University you wish to attend. For example if you want to attend Wilfrid Laurier University then you would look at this page:

Another Example: If you are an International student and plan to study at the University of Alberta, you should take a look at this website:

Overall, getting into a Canadian University as an International Student is not too difficult – just understand what Universities in Canada (LINK HERE) , find a program you like, visit the website of the international section of the Canadian University you wish to attend and apply.


Leave a Reply