Pursuing a part time MBA is an attractive option for working professionals who wish to elevate their careers without putting work on hold. The University of British Columbia’s Sauder School of Business offers a part-time MBA program tailored specifically for experienced managers and executives in Vancouver.
Ranked among the top MBA programs in Canada, UBC Sauder’s 20-month part-time MBA allows students to earn a prestigious MBA degree from a globally recognized business school while continuing their full-time careers. With classes taking place outside of regular work hours, the program provides the flexibility busy professionals need.
In this comprehensive guide, we will provide a detailed overview of the UBC Sauder part-time MBA, including information on:
- Curriculum, format, and structure
- How it accommodates working professionals
- Faculty and areas of expertise
- Admission requirements and criteria
- Student profile and class composition
- Tuition costs and funding options
- Career support and placements
- Highlights and takeaways
Let’s start by looking at why one might choose a part-time vs full-time MBA program.
The key advantages of a part-time MBA include:
- Ability to retain full-time employment and salary while studying
- Immediate application of newly acquired skills in the workplace
- Networking opportunities with peers who have significant work experience
- Lower opportunity cost compared to leaving the workforce for a full-time program
However, full-time MBA programs allow for more campus life engagement, specialized concentrations, and consulting/internship opportunities that may not be as abundantly available for part-time students.
The UBC part-time MBA aims to balance these considerations and give working professionals a transformational learning experience fitting their unique needs and constraints.
About the UBC Sauder Part-Time MBA Program
The UBC Sauder part-time MBA program focuses on core business fundamentals through a wide selection of elective coursework spread over 2-3 years.
Students must complete a total of 60 credits to graduate, comprised of:
- 18 credits of core requirements
- A minimum of 42 credits of elective courses
- An integrative Capstone project
Core courses provide a strong foundation in key areas like marketing, finance, strategy, operations, economics, accounting, data analytics, leadership, etc. They include titles like:
- Strategic Management
- Marketing Management
- Data and Decisions
- Leading People and Organizations
With a flexible range of over 90 elective courses to choose from, students can customize based on their strengths, interests, and career goals. Specializations and concentrations are available in:
- Business Analytics
- Operations and Logistics
- Global Supply Chain Management
- and more
The Capstone project tasks students with analyzing a complex business challenge for a real company and providing data-driven solutions. This allows applying learnings to a practical context.
Designed for working professionals, all classes take place outside regular work hours in condensed sessions including:
- Weeknight classes – three-hour sessions, once a week
- Intensive weekends – full days on Friday evening and Saturdays
Terms run year-round so students can take 1-2 courses per quarter without overwhelming their workload. Support systems like study groups and faculty mentoring further discussion and peer learning outside class.
The program consists of 5-6 academic terms spanning 20 months. Students can further customize the pace by taking additional courses over the summer.
UBC Sauder has 100+ distinguished faculty known for pioneering research as well as excellence in teaching. Notable for their interdisciplinary approach, core instructors include experts in:
- Dr. David Hardisty – Behavioral Economics
- Dr. Peter Klein – Entrepreneurship
- Dr. Michael Mazzei – Strategy
- Dr. Lindsay Meredith – Marketing
- Dr. George Tannous – Finance
So in summary, the UBC Sauder part-time MBA provides busy working professionals a rigorous grounding in business fundamentals while allowing customization and flexibly completing the degree.
Admissions Requirements and Criteria
The UBC Sauder part-time MBA seeks candidates with a strong academic background and minimum 4 years of full-time work experience.
Applicants must have:
- A 4 year undergraduate degree
- GMAT or GRE score
- IELTS or TOEFL score (if applicable)
- 4+ years of full-time professional experience
While applicants come from diverse backgrounds, some prerequisite coursework may be required in:
- Micro and Macro Economics
The UBC Sauder part-time MBA application requires:
- Online application form
- Official transcripts
- GMAT or GRE results
- English proficiency scores (if applicable)
- 2 professional letters of reference
- Personal statement and short video essays
The UBC part-time MBA selection process is highly competitive, with <20% acceptance rate. The key criteria assessed include:
- Strong academic performance
- Competitive GMAT/GRE scores
- Career progression and work experience
- Essays and interview demonstrating fit
- Extracurricular activities
The admissions committee takes a holistic approach to evaluate work experience quality, leadership potential, communication skills, and how the candidate’s goals align with the program.
International students from diverse countries are well-represented in each cohort, comprising over 30% of the class.
In summary, successful applicants to the UBC Sauder part-time MBA have outstanding academic credentials along with 4+ years of managerial work experience to benefit from and contribute to the program.
Student Profile and Class Composition
UBC Sauder part-time MBA students bring diverse backgrounds with substantial work experience to the program.
While undergraduate degrees span science, engineering, humanities, and business – most students have technical backgrounds. Over 90% have 4+ years of full-time work experience with the average being 6 years.
They represent various industries like:
- Finance & Banking
- Management Consulting
- Transportation & Logistics
The students carry impressive work profiles working as:
- Marketing and Sales Managers
- Financial Analysts
- Supply Chain Coordinators
- Software Developers
- Project Managers
- Product Designers
- Entrepreneurs and Small Business Owners
Recent UBC Sauder part-time MBA cohorts had the following student demographics:
- Average Age: 30 years
- Gender Ratio: 50% Female, 50% Male
- International Students: 35%
- Canadian Students: 65%
Domestic students come from provinces like Ontario, Alberta, Quebec beyond just British Columbia while international students hail from countries like India, China, Brazil, Mexico, USA, Turkey, and more.
The small class size and peer mentoring ensures that despite the diversity, students can collaborate effectively throughout their study.
The part-time MBA classes take place on UBC campus, so students must plan to be in Vancouver for the 20 month duration. International students require a valid Canadian study permit.
In summary, UBC Sauder part-time MBA students form a vibrant globally-minded community with the added maturity from their extensive work histories.
Costs and Funding Options
The total fees for the UBC Sauder part-time MBA program is an investment for advancing one’s career. However, ample funding opportunities reduce the financial burden.
As a premier business school, the tuition fees for the part-time UBC MBA are:
- Domestic Students: ~$47,000 CAD
- International Students: ~$64,500 CAD
These amounts may vary year-over-year based on credits taken. Additional costs include:
- Student fees (~$1,500)
- Course materials (~$1,500)
- Living expenses in Vancouver
So in total, prospective students should budget ~$65,000 – $80,000 CAD for completing the program.
Funding and Scholarships
Fortunately, UBC Sauder part-time MBA students have access to an abundance of funding options:
- Entrance scholarships and bursaries
- Need-based grants and loans
- Bank education loans
- Employee tuition reimbursement plans
- External awards and tax credits
Over 65% of recent cohorts received company sponsorships and competitive scholarships averaging from $5,000 – $10,000+ off their tuition.
So funding opportunities combined with the salary continuation in a part-time program greatly improves the affordability.
In summary, through numerous funding options and keeping full-time employment, cost should not be the determining factor for quality candidates wishing to invest in advancing their business education and career trajectory.
Let’s now discuss career support and placements.
Here is the section covering career support, placements, and outcomes for UBC Sauder part-time MBA graduates:
Careers and Placements
The UBC Sauder part-time MBA provides extensive career services support to equip graduates for career advancement and leadership opportunities.
The Career Centre assists students one-on-one through services like:
- Resume and cover letter reviews
- Mock interviews
- Job search strategies
- Salary negotiation guidance
Workshops are offered year-round on topics like networking, personal branding, influencing skills and more. Students also get access to exclusive job databases.
Over 105 companies actively recruit from the UBC Sauder part-time MBA program across industries like:
- Amazon, Google, Microsoft
- PwC, KPMG, EY, Deloitte
- HSBC, RBC, TD, Scotiabank -TELUS, Rogers Communications, Shaw
- DHL, Univar, Loblaws
Within 3 months of graduating, over 90% of each cohort finds employment with recent median salaries being:
- Base Salary: ~$97,500 CAD
- Signing Bonus: ~$10,000 CAD
Many graduates experience pivotal career shifts with salary jumps of 20-50% thanks to entering accelerated leadership tracks.
UBC MBA alumni occupy senior level positions like:
- CFOs, VPs, Directors
- Investment Bankers
- Management Consultants
- Marketing Strategists
- Operations Managers
- IT Project Managers
In summary, the UBC Sauder part-time MBA provides the skills, network and career support to unlock new heights in career trajectories for mid-career professionals.
Here is the conclusion and summary section for the article:
Conclusion and Key Takeaways
For working professionals in Vancouver seeking to elevate their business acumen and leadership abilities, the UBC Sauder part-time MBA is an invaluable investment delivering immense career advancement opportunities.
- Rigorous Curriculum: Develops business fundamentals through core courses + customized electives fitting individual needs and interests
- Prestigious School: Globally top-ranked business school providing brand value and network
- Designed for Working Professionals: Classes scheduled evenings/weekends; progress flexibly over 20 months
- Outstanding Peer Network: Mid-career students collaborating with 6+ years average experience
- Generous Funding: Over 65% receive financial aid through scholarships, sponsorships, loans etc.
- Robust Career Support: Dedicated career coaching, corporate recruiter connections, workshops, fairs and more
- Accelerated Leadership: 90% employed within 3 months of graduating, with over 20% average salary jumps
For candidates meeting the admissions criteria, the UBC Sauder part-time MBA delivers an unparalleled ROI through developing leadership skills while working that pays dividends for the rest of one’s career – financially and beyond.
The value is perhaps best validated by the outstanding alumni community of executives, entrepreneurs and specialists carrying forward UBC Sauder’s excellence globally.
Ready to invest in an elite MBA experience elevating you to the next level as a business leader? Learn more about the UBC Sauder part-time MBA and upcoming application deadlines through:
- Attending an information session
- Connecting with the MBA Recruitment Team
- Downloading the Program Overview Guide
Let the UBC Sauder School of Business accelerate your path to leadership success through the part-time MBA built for rising professionals in Vancouver and beyond.